What to Write
First off, I’m thrilled you’re interested in Cover Brands. This is a small, tight-knit publication with big ambitions—still a work-in-process, but growing and evolving everyday. We are looking for energetic, humorous [cool] voices!
To move ideas forward and extrapolate values on life. We want to party, laugh, and explore all things good, bad, and ugly. (Or beautiful?) We speak with others, not at them.
Life Design, 3 Ways, and Brand Humor are the three main categories in our community. These are abstract, umbrella terms—get creative. Above all, we’d love to supply an array of styles and story lines. Because Cover Brands works to impact and inspire, engagement is super important to us as a collective.
- We like funny.
- We like artsy.
- We like smart.
You could even try insightful, savvy, bright, intentional, inspiring, and / or comical.
Any of these work 😅
Cover Brands signature tags and respective tabs:
Lifestyle -> (Life Design Tab)
How To -> (3 Ways Tab)
Humor -> (Brand Humor Tab)
What to Write
Here are some solid writing prompts to help you get started:
- How do we improve life? How do you improve your life? What tips and tricks do you stand by when it comes to routines, habits, and beliefs?
- “3 Ways” is a section of the publication. Write about 3 ways to do something. Example: “3 Ways to Start a ____” (How To)
- What’s a unique, quirky, or funny perspective on society?
- Discuss a concept or strategy you’ve learned in relation to soft skills, branding, or selling a product. Share and teach your lessons.
- Talk about your lifestyle, things you like, things you don’t.
- Express what a personal brand is to you; show others how to build one.
The bottom line?
Write about something you’re genuinely excited about.
Submit an Article
We do not accept previously published content, because we love fresh pieces. Our length range is 3 to 7 minute reads only. We ask that you abide by Medium’s Rules and check all writing / links / photos before submission.
Contributing is really easy; you have a couple of options:
- You can personally ask Alec Zaffiro to be a writer (you’ll then be able to submit directly to Cover Brands).
- Or, you can fill out this form, which you’ll need a link to your writing [draft].
What happens after a submission?
Well, I like to personally review all writing that comes through CB.
As sole-editor, it only seems right.
I like to probe submissions; I like to tweak formatting, round out ideas, and polish the details. I avoid rewriting parts of the story without your consent as a collaborator—but overall, I view the story as “ours,” so I do like to play a part in making it the best it can be.
To work with writers, I use Medium’s private-note system mainly. I also encourage writers for Cover Brands to join our Slack group (online workspace) so we can toss around ideas and exchange messages.
Again, just respond to me, Alec, and I will invite you to the group.
Lastly, when do we publish?
We like to publish on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. However, just leave a private note if you’d like to have your story posted another time.
Can’t wait to get this party started!